Did you know that food can help prevent colds and flu and also to take better symptoms of these diseases? With the help of several nutritionists we reveal some of the foods that should not miss in your diet to fight these minor illnesses, but annoying.
Thanks to the immune system, the body has a natural defense shield to fight bacterial and viral attacks. However, this is not always in full power, either by fatigue, stress, nutritional deficiencies or intensive sport. In winter and spring, the recurrence of flu states and airway inflammation is the result of a poor immune system.
Healthy habits can help us strengthen our defenses. Ensure a balanced diet, not smoking, protected from environmental pollution, combat stress, getting enough sleep and avoid a sedentary lifestyle and a moderate exercise such as walking an hour straight day can be good to strengthen our own immunity naturally.
- Garlic, along with cough suppressant, expectorant is one of the foods available anti infections and is always advisable in cases of colds.
- The onion contains an essence that relieves congestion of the lungs, calms the cough and disinfects the mucous membranes. Its content makes a great ally against allergies and conditions such as asthma, sinusitis, rhinitis or bronchitis, if consumed frequently.
- Citrus. They are particularly rich in vitamin C, which helps strengthen the defenses and relieve the common symptoms of colds and flu. Eating breakfast every day a glass of fresh orange juice, and afternoon taking a hot lemon juice mixed with water and honey will make the symptoms subside and you feel better.
- Foods rich in carotenoids such as oranges, carrots, pumpkin, melon, peach, spinach… The carotenoids promote the regeneration of the respiratory mucosa and prevent bacterial invasion.
- Legumes. They are foods rich in antioxidants, act as natural flu and help reduce the toxins that cause infection, strengthen the immune system and shorten the duration of flu or cold.
- Spicy foods. Winter garnish salads with cloves, cinnamon, pepper, chili and ginger will warm will favor spitting and sweating and help eliminate bacteria.
- Red fruits like strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and berries have bactericidal, but clarifies that, for effectiveness, must consume a large amount. These fruits also improve microcirculation, so also advised to improve eyesight and hearing.
- Fish. Besides having heart-healthy properties, is rich in a mineral that helps white blood cells to eradicate the virus of influenza. Many types of fish, especially blue, are rich in acid omega-3, which helps to reduce lung inflammation and protect the lungs from respiratory infections.